Nowadays websites need to be built faster and easier, because of which many developers prefer Open Source CMS to get this done. There are now many Content Management Systems available in the market to build a website which makes very difficult to find the right one.
The Content Management System which you choose makes a big difference as the total outlook and functionalities of the final website depends on it. More than thousand options are available on the web for developing a website. Some important guidelines should be considered while choosing a CMS from so many options available.
1. The priority should be given to the main functionality of your website. The CMS you choose should be really good in performing that functionality. The primary function of your website should be known and accordingly CMS should be chosen.
2. User should easily able to know the basic functions whenever he/she opens up the back end of the website. A good CMS should always have a standardized format for each section of the back end and different things should look logical as well as well-organized. This makes very easy as it becomes easy to figure out the basic architecture logically.
3. It is not a good practice to select a CMS having lots of functions which you don’t require. Instead a CMS which can perform the functions at its best needed for your website should be selected.
4. Your CMS should include WYSIWYG editor as it makes very easy for clients who are non-technical and doesn’t have much knowledge about HTML to create sections within their web pages.
5. The web pages which are created by your CMS should have simple codes so that they are fast loading.
6. The CMS you choose should have enough support like it should have support forums frequented by both users and others who are involved in the project. Also it should provide documentation having information on everything from basic use of the CMS to customizations to advanced functionalities of the website. This documentation should be easy to understand and accurate enough.
So these are some of the important things which should be considered before selecting a CMS for getting your website developed.